Sunday, May 18, 2014

Becoming a College Graduate

This past Friday I graduated from Bakersfield College, which got me thinking about the process it took to get there.



When I was a young adult, I never believed that I would get a degree. In my mind, all I wanted to be was a stay at home mom, so why would I need one. So I thought. Once I started college, I simply said to myself "this is not for me. Some are good at and meant for school and some aren't. I am not". Being home-schooled all the way to college and felt incompetent. Once I started college, I realized that I didn't know how to properly write a paper, study, or take tests. Because of this, it was a very tough start.

Luckily, I married someone who saw school as being very important, and encouraged me through it. It instilled in me the importance of going to school. After I understood the basics necessary in college, I excelled. Eventually getting straight A's and graduating with an associate's degree I'm Culinary Arts and on top of that, graduating with honors.


Also, I graduated at the same time that my husband did!! Which was right before the baby was born...thank goodness.

Believe me it was not easy, but it was definitely worth it. Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement that got me through school when the going was tough!!

-Chantel M.

No comments:

Post a Comment